Depron Lightning

Show off your latest creation
Ian

Depron Lightning

Post by Ian »

Those of you who've read the latest Newsletter will have seen that I've started a Lightning pusher jet, and promised updates here on the Forum. Well here is the state so far: The fuselage frames and formers are done, starting to fit the tail servo and pivot. It's an all-flying tail so I'll use 4mm CF tube inside 6mm CF tube for bearings.
Plywood template, since the curvature is the same for all formers except the very end ones.
Formers slotted and awaiting glueing
Not entirely sure the effort of cutting all those holes was worth it; I reckon I've saved just 13 grams, or under 1/2 oz.
All formers in place, tail servo trial fitting
Since the tail fin is rather large I thought I'd need a CF tube to stiffen it. At first I assumed I'd have to cut a slot in the side, since the idea of drilling a 3mm hole up through 6mm sheet seemed impossible. But then I tried it... Using a piece of piano wire with a sharpened end, it's actually very easy to push it up through the Depron, using thumb and forefinger to feel when the wire is approaching one side and compensating. So here is the fin with the CF tube right up the middle without coming out of the side anywhere.
0 x
Ian.
Hotrod

Re: Depron Lightning

Post by Hotrod »

Looking good Ian :)
Looks a lot of effort with all lighting holes :? I alway love the look of the lighting ,remember see them fly when I was a kid super looking plane and should make a interesting model :) I be watching with interest :)
0 x
The Devils in the detail
Ian

Post by Ian »

A bit more progress. Slow going since almost every fuselage panel is a different shape. A paper pattern is made, Depron cut, fitted, trimmed etc. then rolled. Since it tends to spring back and you can't really pin it down hard enough, contact adhesive (UHU-POR) has to be used, taking care not to get any on the adjacent panel, or else it 'grabs' before it's properly in place. Hence an additional 20-minute wait between panels.
Elevator servo fitted
Elevators & fin trial fitting
Most skinning done apart from that around radio and battery bays
Making the jetpipes from 3mm Depron around 50mm plastic pipe
Jetpipes in place - not glued yet, will probably paint first
Aileron servos. Fixed length link since the control horn is glued in place before the aileron is cut out
0 x
Ian.
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Looks Great but very time comsuming any idea of how long its taken?
0 x
Ian

Post by Ian »

Not really sure of total building hours, probably about 20-30 but seems like more!

Weight is now expected to be around 730g inc battery before covering. As suggested by Pete I'll try lightweight tissue covering apart from the belly where I'll use glass. Hopefully that will keep it to around 800-850g total.

This compares to 605g for the Bandit with 835g static thrust, not measured thrust on the Lightning yet.
As you can see from this comparison, despite a smaller wingspan there's a lot more of the Lightning.
0 x
Ian.
Ian

Post by Ian »

Those of you who were there or have seen the photos in the Gallery will know that the maiden flight of the Lightning was, shall we say, somewhat on the short side. Fortunately damage was confined to the front right fuselage with the rest of the model unscathed. Repairs have been made as follows.
First, new nose ring and bullet are made from blue foam
All damaged areas were cut away and the cracked bulkhead glued back together
New front bulkhead and cross-members made & fitted
Side skins fitted and the missing part of the nose ring attached
Everything filled, sanded and covered in glass-cloth & Poly-C. Now to leave for a few days to dry and then it will be ready for spraying
0 x
Ian.