Sea Harrier

Show off your latest creation
Ian

Sea Harrier

Post by Ian »

I'm building a couple of Depron models at the moment. The first is the Sea Harrier, from Craig Clarkson's plan in https://jetworks.online/parkjets/
I've been describing it in the Jetworks Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/groups/1826370074287164, but for those not on Facebook or not in that group, here are some photos from the build so far.

The starting point: Depron for both models cut on the needle cutter
Part off the needle cutter
Assembly started. The grill on the bottom is supposed to let excess air out, given the huge intakes. and allow air flow over the ESC.
Base assembled
A number of parts are 3D printed.
3D printed parts
The wing has 6mm CF tubes glued in, and the halves are glued together at the correct angle using the supplied jig.
Wing halves being glued together on jig
Electrics going in. I'm using a Lemon RX stabilised receiver.
Electrics
Main Depron parts complete.
Depron 6mm parts assembled
3D printed inlets added and 3mm Depron curved round to form the sides. Sanding started. The 3D printed canopy is just to get the positioning right, and will be replaced with a transparent canopy later.
Sanding about to start
So that's where it is now, more updates later, and I'll describe the second model when I've got a bit further with it.
0 x
Ian.
Andy

Re: Sea Harrier

Post by Andy »

That’s got my interest!
Is it going to be a hand launched pusher or do you have another cunning plan?
0 x
Ian

Post by Ian »

I thought that would catch your eye :) It's a hand-launched pusher, wish I had a cunning plan but no...
There is an EDF version exhausting though the rear nozzles, but I think that's rather risky and would probably be under powered. Although you have to buy the plan, the build guide is freely available here...
https://jetworks.online/wp-content/uplo ... -01-09.pdf

...and is worth a look. You can build all variants, for me it was a toss-up between the GR1 and this one.
0 x
Ian.
Andy

Post by Andy »

That build guide looks very impressive and well thought out, especially the comments about the vertical cg. That’s what stopped mine taking off initially, until I realised that the thrust line was too high and added some packing washers to the motor mount.
Looking forward to see it fly!
0 x
Ian

Post by Ian »

Some more progress:
A lot of fiddling to get the exhaust shrouds right...
...but I think the profile looks OK
The underside is all white, so that plus the bits that are going to stay white are all sprayed white.
Painting
Then masking. Markings and the whole underside are masked off.
Masking
A quick spray with rattle can primer, then airbrushed Dark Sea Grey. The red tail flash was a two-part mask: the inner part was removed, painted red, then the outer part removed to reveal the white border.
More painting...
So getting there. The next step is the fuselage roundel. This could not be masked as it's on a compound curved surface and covers the intake slots. So that one will have to be hand-painted, which may take some time. Then just a few details to add, fitting control surfaces etc.
1 x
Ian.
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Brilliant it no longer looks like a Depron job.
0 x
Bananabomber

Post by Bananabomber »

Looks like another masterpiece in the making Ian - nice scheme. Have you checked the ailerons? 😉
0 x
Pete Richards