Fun fighters

Talk about that latest model etc.
Mike P

Fun fighters

Post by Mike P »

Hi All
it looks like a few of the guys are buying the Cambria fun fighters. I think it would be a great idea to start a building thread so everyone can spur each other on and may be spark a bit of interest in building again. Any body interested just get yourself a kit from Cambria (not Cambrian) nexus and join in.
0 x
richwilliams

Re: Fun fighters

Post by richwilliams »

Just had a look. Will be watching this with interest. Who's getting them?
0 x
Alan

Post by Alan »

Hi, The only link I could find is below. Is it correct? If not what is the right one?

http://www.cambrianplanes.co.uk/ourshop ... range.html

Cheers

Alan
0 x
Alan Meaney
Jamie

Post by Jamie »

This is the site you want http://www.funfighters.co.uk The Cambria range was bought from Mike Mayne at ATS Mayneline by Paul Bardoe (PB models) around 4 years ago, Paul later sold it to Daren Graham who is keeping it going. The kits are made by Cloud models in Norwich. It was Mike, myself and two others that kicked off the fun fighter team in 2003 that became known as the 'Reds' by Dave Bishop and subsequently everyone else.

We had a hell of a lot of fun and got through a lot of models while doing so. Alan Brown developed them into models for the Reno 300 pylon class, giving them a much more effective RG32 wing section and a more streamlined moulded fuselage . . . . they were very quick! When we first started i tried the LEO 37 which gave excellent performance but when the supply ran out we looked elsewhere, the motor to have was the OS 32 SX or the earlier OS 32 F but several of us used SC/ASP 36's, one guy put a West 50 and pipe in one! i flew that once and it was almost uncontrollable.

For me the best of the bunch was the Kawasaki Ki-61 Hien or 'Tony' this design was an addition when Mike had the range and was based on the Micro Mold Kawasaki Ki61. It is very smooth and fast with an excellent glide and does not have any nasty habits as well as being a very good looking model. The next would be the 109, closely followed by the 190D which is a little down on speed due to the draggy radial cowl. The spitfire and mustang have shorter moment and are a little bit more pitchy as a result. We modded the kits quite a bit the more we built, one of the first mods was the Y pushrod to the elevators to avoid flutter with the bigger motors and then cutting the trailing edge of the wing back by a 1/2 inch and replacing with balsa, shaped and sanded to allow a deeper aileron to be cut into the wing. Some of the models that were built for the stand had an incredible amount of detail on them, were still flyers.

Cambria was the original company and had much larger models such as the Skyvan as well as the Funfighters. The Cambria Funfighters range consisted of the ME-109, FW-190D, Spitfire and the Mustang. When the partners split the Cambrian company was born and there range dropped the FW190D and brought in the Hurricane. This was later to sold to the current owners who were at Old Warden last weekend with a full range of models including the Funfighters.
1 x
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Thanks Jamie for the info
0 x
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

The crew so far_____Pete Richards, Ian Hands, Dave Tremmers and me plus rumours of Paul Lathall but not sure that small fast aircraft are his thing
0 x
tremelling

Post by tremelling »

Not sure that small fast planes are my thing either. I don't like flying low and fast!!!!!!!!
Dave T
0 x
richwilliams

Post by richwilliams »

Are you all going glow in these or is it an easy lecky conversion?
0 x
tremelling

Post by tremelling »

All Glo I think. We are all trying to find suitable engines.
0 x
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

I am going glow but if you want to do a Lecky go for it the more the merrier
Mike
0 x