Stonking day today

Talk about anything else here.
richwilliams

Stonking day today

Post by richwilliams »

Hi,
Just had to write, What an amazing days flying today. Flew all my models loads including finally flying my Sebart Angel for the first time. Was nervous as hell on first flight after a few months of flying cheap foamies. But needn't have been as it flew incredible. What a plane. Just flies so straight and true. Also got much enjoyment out of the DLG, Riot, Pulse and the Radjet. And if I had been able to get a lipo sorted, the Habu would have had it's maiden. Next week for that :D
What was really amazing about today was the weather, warm and and absolutely dead still with zero wind most of the day. A short shower at 2pm stopped play for 15 minutes then it was back to it.
But what was really weird was that all day it was just myself and John Cable flying. That's right, Saturday with amazing weather and 2 people on the patch. Suffice to say we had a shed load of flights between us. I lost count.
Happy days. And thanks to John for encouraging me to get the Angel out of the car and fly it. Glad I listened :D
Cheers Rich
0 x
Hotrod

Re: Stonking day today

Post by Hotrod »

Yep great days flying Rich :D nice to see the dust blown of that sebart angel, as well as seeing you getting to grips with that little Radjet
:lol:
0 x
The Devils in the detail
flynnt

Post by flynnt »

I thought I,d have good days flying, following your comments. Had two visits to the field this week, but far too windy for me.
But what has surprised me is the length of the grass in front of the pits. We seem to have more uncut grass than cut grass.

Did I miss a discussion about returning the field to nature, so please tell me when did the membership decide to not cut the grass.
0 x
richwilliams

Post by richwilliams »

flynnt wrote:I thought I,d have good days flying, following your comments. Had two visits to the field this week, but far too windy for me.
But what has surprised me is the length of the grass in front of the pits. We seem to have more uncut grass than cut grass.

Did I miss a discussion about returning the field to nature, so please tell me when did the membership decide to not cut the grass.
Bit harsh me thinks.
Lets clear up a couple of things on Billy's behalf.
Yes there are some long bits but the runway is as smooth and short as ever. It's not that difficult to get a plane on there but I understand the run off can occasionally be an issue.
Billy has recently moved house and has been very busy with that. Hence the the grass cutting is not up to it's usual high standard. Billy is not at the field anywhere near as much as usual and that includes getting the opportunity to fly.
Up until recently, Billy has done a sterling job of the field, usually twice a week and TBH still does given the limited time he has.
Personally I feel he does an amazing job and this little lapse we can live with due to his personal circumstances. Lets be honest, it's a thankless task and he doesn't get anywhere near the praise he deserves. I always make him a hot drink if I'm first at the field and he is out on the mower.
If anyone doesn't like the field as it is, they can always get the keys and get on with it. I'm sure Billy would appreciate a break sometimes ;)

There has been a lot of talk lately about the runway and whether there should be runways or just a square of cut grass. We had a chat with Mike Pope last week and talked about all the reasons for the runways and why it was laid out the way it was.
The thing that came out of the discussion was that certain areas of the runways just need widening out a bit as they seem to have crept a little particularly the start of the landing strip at the north east end of the long runway. Something to discuss at the next meeting but people need to be there if they want something done ;)

Back on the topic of this thread. Had some great nights again this week and there are never more than 2 or 3 people flying on an evening. I had a fantastic couple of hours tonight. Totally windless, very warm and I was all on my own.
Roll on tomorrow :)
Cheers, Rich
0 x
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Thanks for your comments Tom albeit a bit on the negative side, I am aware that there has been some discussion on the field layout recently but as I suggested to some of the other club members this item can be included at a club night, just email the secretary so that it can go on the agenda and get advertised then bring along your proposals for on informative discussion.

On a personal note I think Billy is doing a great job, its a far cry from the small round spot we used to cut with petrol push mowers on a Saturday morning before we could get our planes off the ground.
0 x
flynnt

Post by flynnt »

I don't think anyone would question Billy,s great efforts with the grass, he is doing a great job.

The point I was making was that stretch of grass looks like it has been left on purpose.

If the wind is in the wrong direction, ie you stand in the flight box near it, then the flier etc coming out make for uncomfortable flying.
0 x
Hotrod

Post by Hotrod »

Gent this is way off subject and should we not be in the club house section with this as this is part of the open forum :oops:
0 x
The Devils in the detail